The extensive ancient park with castle ruins lying along the Barycz River is a very valuable scenic area in the town of Żmigród. A habitat type characteristic of this area is (according to forest typology) a marshy forest. The basic elements of the flora in the park are deciduous trees with the oak tree as the dominant species, accompanied by alder, hornbeam, sycamore and ash. The age of the trees varies from 80 to 150 years. Other species of trees include young catalpa, Weymouth pine, red oak, plane and mud oak.
The castle was erected in the 14th century on the left bank of the Barycz River. In 1560 the castle was extended by a defensive residential tower, built of stone, with four floors, with an adjacent small tower with stairs and battlements.
In 1579 and 1605 the castle was badly damaged by fires. It was besieged several times during the Thirty Years’ War. In 1642 the castle was captured by the Swedish commander Torstenson. After being strengthened, the castle served the Swedes for eight years as a base for forays into Silesia.
In 1655-1657 the castle was extended by Żmigród’s owner Melchior Hatzfeld. It was fortified in 1691. Finally, after many alterations it became a baroque aristocratic residence in the second half of the 18th century. It was only slightly damaged during the last war.
The Parish Church lies on the east side of the Market Square. Its construction started in 1597 on the site of the old building (the old church was dismantled and moved to another place). After the new church was ready, it turned out that its tower was leaning and was in danger of collapsing. To prevent a disaster, the builders added supporting side walls, which are preserved until today.
The church burnt down in 1702 and was reconstructed in 1723. At present it is a three aisle basilica with a renaissance portal (there is a coat of arms of the donor Schaffgotsch and his wife Katharina above the portal). In the church you can admire paintings from the 17th and 18th centuries. On the outside walls of the church there are tombstones from the 16th century.
THE MOST INTERESTING SIGHTS OF THE TOWN AND DISTRICT in a nutshell
Trinity Parish Church (1595-1607), founded by Adam von Schaffgotsch
a) Baroque reconstruction in 1702 by Karl Hackner
b) Scheffer’s painting Adoration of the Holy Cross
c) Baroque grave chapel – entrance from the aisle
d) Tombstone of Heinrich von Kurzbach set in the outside wall
e) Figure of St John of Nepomuk (baroque)
a) St Mary’s column from the second half of the 19th century
b) Council building from 1830
Water tower from 1900
Church of St Stanislaus Kostka (former Evangelical church) from 1854-1858
Palace and park complex
a) Kurzbach’s residential tower from 1560, heightened by one storey by the Swedes during the Thirty Years’ War when the Castle was converted into a fortress
b) Plaque from 1998 commemorating the Żmigród Protocol signed in 1813
c) Ruins of the baroque palace which was built after the demolition of the fortifications (Hackner) in 1706-1708
d) Hothouse in the southern part of the park (Langhans) with an area of 15 ha
e) Iron flag mast
f) Walls of the palace chapel from 1683 (Rossi)
Baroque St Martin’s Parish Church from 1787 (baroque)
Classicist St Anthony’s Church (formerly evangelical) from 1829
a) Painting of St Mary of Częstochowa – the Queen of the Polish Crown brought by settlers from Lewacze (Wołyń Region) after World War II
Medieval penitential cross
Baroque Church of St John of Nepomuk
Medieval penitential cross
Half-timbered house from the end of the 18th century
******Remnants of early medieval settlements in Kędzie, Korzeńsko, Osiek Mały, Szarzyna
Remnants of an early medieval settlement in Żmigródek from the 10th – 12th century, a 70 m long fragment of a wall, remnants of a moat
Baroque Parish Church of Invention of the Cross from 1722
Former evangelical church (eclectic)
Remnants of an early medieval settlement
Preserved houses with a frame construction
Causeway – vantage point overlooking the Niezgoda Pond
Baroque-classicist Church of St John the Baptist from 1787-8
a) The oldest sculpture in the valley of the Barycz River – a wooden crucifix from the 14th century
A border post of the Free State of Żmigród, Milicz and the estate of the monastery in Trzebnica – hollows – blades of sabres of the Napoleonic army soldiers
The only in Poland - Węglewo
Roads and Bridges Research Institute
Tests on a world scale
Nature sanctuaries and monuments
The Valley of the Barycz River Scenic Park – one of the most interesting nature complexes in Europe
The Milicz Ponds Nature Sanctuary – Radziądz Complex – rare species of waterfowl - Jamnik Complex
Radziądz Tree Sanctuary - 120-year old pine, 300-400-year old oaks, circumference to 4.6 m